Cheap Thrills (2013) Movie Review
E.L. Katz did a phenomenal job with Cheap Thrills which is his first movie to direct. I am impatiently awaiting to see ABCs of Death 2 which is currently filming and is directed by Katz. Cheap Thrills (2013) contains thrills, bad language, suspense, drama, dark humor, friendship, violence, sexual content and disturbing images/scenes. I would recommend this movie for adults only and only those that are not squeamish. Here is a thought - how far and to what extent will people go/do for money?
Pat Healy (Draft Day, Everlasting, Starry Eyes) deserves to be recognized for his performance as Craig in this movie. Craig is a father and husband who recently lost his job of many years and to top it off, is served with an eviction notice to vacate their apartment. Craig and Vince (Ethan Embry - Vacancy, Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle, Eagle Eye) are friends who haven’t seen each other in over five years and coincidentally meets each other at the bar. While sharing their problems and stories, Craig told Vince that he needs $4,500 or he will have to move. They are soon invited by an extremely rich couple Violet (Sara Paxton - The Innkeepers, The Last House on the Left, Shark Night 3D) and Colin (David Koechner - Get Smart, Scouts vs. Zombies, Hell & Back) to celebrate Violet’s birthday.
Vince and Craig did not think anything of it and accepted the invitation and share a few drinks at the bar with the wealthy generous couple. The four of them went to the couple’s home where they were asked to do sinister, twisted things and in return they will receive money. How far will the two friends go? Will their friendship be destroyed?
I gave this movie an 8 because it shows what people in desperate need of money will do of their own free will for money. Colin and Violet never pushed or threaten the guys to do anything, but they continue to do everything because of MONEY. The movie also shows how people with wealth can toy with people in need of money in their own sick demeaning way.
Some facts about Ethan Embry:
* He is 5’10” and was born on June 13, 1978 in Huntington Beach, California.
* His birth name is Ethan Philian Randall.
* He changed his last name to Embry because it was his grandfather last name.
* He began his acting career by first appearing in more than 100 TV and Radio commercials.
* He started his major acting career at the age of 13 in 1991 by appearing in three films.
* He grew up in Southern California with his older brother Aaron (Empire Records) and younger sister Kessia Koredelle Randall (A Far Off Place, Dancer, Texas Pop. 81, Beloved)
* He bought his first home in 1998.
* He was married twice and divorced twice.
1st wife - Amelinda Embry - November 14, 1998 - 2002
2nd wife - Sunny Mabrey - July 17, 2005 - 2012
* He has one son named Cogeian Sky Embry with Amelinda on December 10, 1999.
* He writes with his left hand and plays guitar with his right hand.
* Has acted in 85 films so far.
About Cheap Thrills 2013
Starring: Ethan Embry, Todd Farmer, Ruben Pla, Amanda Fuller, Sam Ketcherside, Danny Minnick, David Koechner, Pat Healy, Elissa Dowling, Eric Neil Gutierrez, Shelby Lauren, Will Leon, Claudia Salinas, Brighton Sharbino, Sandra Valladares, Eli McLaughlin, Sara Paxton, Laura Covelli, Val Emanuel
Director: E.L. Katz
Help Us Rate These Movies and TV Shows
You May Also Like…