The Flash Gordon Collection 2005 Horror Movie Review
Horror movies Review
Before Star Wars! Before Star Trek! It was Flash Gordon who wowed audiences with his dazzling deeds of derring-do, saving both the Earth and lovely Dale Arden from the clutches of the villainous emperor Ming the Merciless, aided by Dr. Zarkov and the cheesiest special effects this side of the galaxy!
This DVD compilation includes the entire 12 episode serial FLASH GORDON CONQUERS THE UNIVERSE, starring Buster Crabbe as Flash and Charles Middleton as Ming. Classic Sci-Fi from the Golden Age of Hollywood!
Also included: FLASH GORDON, the TV series from the 1950s, starring Steve Holland as Flash, with Irene Champlin as Dale Arden and Joe Nash as Dr. Zarkov. Here are ten rare episodes on the fiftieth anniversary of their original broadcast.
Bonus! MANHUNT IN SPACE, a feature film edited from episodes of ROCKY JONES: SPACE RANGER, a Sci-Fi TV series that rivaled FLASH GORDON during Television’s Golden Era.
A complete movie serial in 12 exciting chapters! Plus! Ten adventurous episodes from the television series! Plus a bonus feature!
DISC 1 FLASH GORDON CONQUERS THE UNIVERSE Chapters 1-6
In the third and final Flash Gordon serial, made in 1940, Flash, Dr. Zarkov and Dale Arden travel to Mongo to discover the source of poisonous dust that has been falling to Earth. They again run afoul of their arch-nemesis, Ming the Merciless, up to his usual tricks. Also on hand are Prince Barin of Arboria, Queen Fria of the frozen northern land of Frigia, the treacherous Sonja and the Rock People. With Buster Crabbe as Flash Gordon, Charles Middleton as Ming, Carol Hughes as Dale Arden, and Frank Shannon as Dr. Zarkov.
Chapter 1. The Purple Death! Chapter 2. Freezing Torture! Chapter 3. Walking Bombs! Chapter 4. The Destroying Ray! Chapter 5. The Palace of Terror! Chapter 6. Flaming Death!
DISC 2 FLASH GORDON CONQUERS THE UNIVERSE Chapters 7-12
The adventure continues on the planet Mongo, pitting the heroics of Flash Gordon, Dale Arden and Dr. Zarkov against the evil machinations of Ming the Merciless. Our heroes also encounter monsters, robots, cheesy special effects, highly improbable costumes and even more improbable dialogue. With Buster Crabbe as Flash Gordon, Charles Middleton as Ming, Carol Hughes as Dale Arden, and Frank Shannon as Dr. Zarkov.
Chapter 7. The Land of the Dead! Chapter 8. The Fiery Abyss! Chapter 9. The Pool of Peril! Chapter 10. The Death Mist! Chapter 11. Stark Treachery! Chapter 12. Doom of the Dictator!
DISC 3 FLASH GORDON: THE TV SERIES As the main science fiction hero of the 1930s, it was only natural that Flash Gordon would be revived for a TV series during the sci-fi adventure boom of the 1950s. Steve Holland took over the role of Flash Gordon, now an agent for the Galactic Bureau of Investigation, with Irene Champlin as Dale Arden and Joe Nash as Dr. Zarkov. Here are rare episodes on the fiftieth anniversary of their original broadcast.
1. “Flash Gordon and the Planet of Death” Debut episode: After an expedition to a mysterious planet fails, Flash Gordon, Dale Arden and Dr. Zarkov journey there to investigate along with the sole survivor of the first mission. First broadcast on October 1, 1954
2. “Akim the Terrible” Akim, a nutty tyrant in the Nietzscheian mold, despises the weak, so on his planet it is a crime to help old or sick people. He also sends a mind-controlled assassin to kill Flash. First broadcast on November 5, 1954.
3. “The Claim Jumpers” In pursuit of space pirates, Flash Gordon and Dale Arden come to the rescue of Prospector Pete and his daughter when the pirates come to steal Pete’s treasure. First broadcast on November 12, 1954
4. “The Breath of Death” An escaped convict stows away on board Flash’s rocketship and takes Flash and Dale hostage. Will Dr. Zarkov be forced to destroy his friends along with the stolen ship? First broadcast on November 26, 1954
DISC 4 FLASH GORDON: THE TV SERIES More adventures from the case files of the Galactic Bureau of Investigation, with Steve Holland as Flash Gordon, Irene Champlin as Dale Arden and Joe Nash as Dr. Zarkov. They are imperiled by more evil villains, more cheesy special effects, and more corny dialogue. Here are four more rare episodes on the fiftieth anniversary of their original broadcast. Filmed in West Berlin.
1. “Flash Gordon and the Race Against Time” Flash, Dale and Zarkov must get Commander Richards to Mars in time for a vote to determine if the Galaxy Bureau of Investigation will continue operations. First broadcast on February 25, 1955
2. “Flash Gordon and the Brain Machine” Part of a continuing adventure, evil witch queen Zydereen (Marie Powers) has Dr. Zarkov and Richards under her control, causing them to destroy the machine creating the breathable atmosphere on Neptune, then drains knowledge and memories from their minds. First broadcast on March 11, 1955
3. “The Forbidden Experiment” Taking serum in response to an urgent call from an old colleague, Dr. Zarkov is lured into a trap by a man-beast demanding his services. Dale and Flash go to rescue Zarkov, only to be captured as well. First broadcast on April 08, 1955
4. “The Earth’s Core” Invaders from Inner Space! Flash Gordon must investigate an alien invasion coming from under the Earth! First broadcast on June 17, 1955
DISC 5 FLASH GORDON: THE TV SERIES Even more adventures with Steve Holland as Flash Gordon, Irene Champlin as Dale Arden and Joe Nash as Dr. Zarkov of the Galactic Bureau of Investigation, as they are imperiled by yet more evil villains, more cheesy special effects, and more corny dialogue. And dig those costumes! Filmed in West Berlin.
1. “Deadline at Noon” To save the Earth, Flash, Dale and Zarkov travel back in time to the 1950s to defuse a type of bomb that is destroying planets in their own era. Their journey takes them to war-damaged West Berlin where the bomb is hidden. First broadcast on June 24, 1955
2. “The Subworld Revenge” Those subworlders are at it again! German-accented denizens of the Earth’s core plan to dominate the outer world. Can Flash stop them in time? Apparently not; this was the last show of the series. First broadcast on July 15, 1955
BONUS: MANHUNT IN SPACE, a feature film edited together from the original TV series ROCKY JONES: SPACE RANGER from 1954. Join Space Ranger Rocky Jones, Vena Ray, Winky, Prof. Newton and ten year-old Bobby on their spaceship “The Orbit Jet” as they thwart space pirates led by the beautiful but evil Cleolanta.
About The Flash Gordon Collection (2005)
Starring: Flash Gordon Conquers the Universe,
Runtime: 127 minutes
Cool Posts From Around the Web: